Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Purgy-Cat

Are you a purgy-cat?  Scared to purge your piles of stuff?  I get it.  I know.  What if I need it tomorrow?  But it still works.  I paid for it!  There's lots of ways to talk yourself into keeping stuff.

What can you do?

1.  Get help.  Having a firm friend along to talk through the purge with you will help you make rational decisions.

2.  Ask yourself, "What if my house burned down?".  Would that item be missed?

3.  Think back to the last time you used it.  If it was more than 6 months ago then maybe you can live without it.

4.  For those items that you just cannot decide on, start a holding box.  Label it "HOLDING BOX" and put the date on it.  Make a note on your calendar to check the box in 6 months.  If you haven't missed the stuff in there during the holding period, it's probably safe to give it away.

If that doesn't convince you, then how about this?  Maybe someone else out there would LOVE your stuff.  Your stuff that you only sorta like and you are considering giving away.

Check out this cutie chair.  Darla didn't want it anymore so she gave it to me.  And I think it's adorable!  


How about this super coffee table?  Kristin found her dream table and so was done with this...it fit right into my family room and saved me a bundle!


This little table?  Another Kristin cast off.  A quick coat of paint and I popped it in my daughter's room. But I loved it so much that it had to come join the living room.  The vase in the picture was my mom's.  I had always thought it was pretty so she took it out of her cupboard and gave it to me.  There is never a time it is not in use at my house.


But I've saved the best for last.  My mom always has mugs out on her counter in a pretty tray.  She chooses decorative ones for each season.  Years ago she had this one.  It was her favourite.  But it was my favourite too.  Every time I visited she let me use it...and then one day, she GAVE it to me.  I can't even put into words how much I love this mug.  I use it all the time.  No one else would understand but something about the pattern, the colour...I really do consider it when I ask myself the fire question.  


So maybe something at your house that you aren't even using but can't quite part with would make someone else extraordinarily happy and would get used every day.  

If that's not a great reason, what is?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you sure scored a lot of great stuff by helping others purge! ha ha ha. Good work. Those are some great treasures. Good purging advice too, it did really help me to have you with me to purge. If you thought I could let it go, somehow it was easier. I should really tackle some more areas!

    ReplyDelete